Last time we explored optimizing your PPC campaign with ZIP code targeting. Like the other demographic targeting options that Google provides, age and gender targeting can help improve your conversion rates to squeeze more leads out of your advertising spend. In this installment we look at how you can use age range targeting to optimize conversion rates.
Age Range Targeting
To target by age range in Google Adwords select Campaigns, and select the Audiences tab (see Figure 1).
Next select the Demographics button to the right of the +Targeting button, and select the Age tab next to the Gender tab (see Figure 2).
AdWords then lists the age range performance for each ad group. To get a better overview of how each age range performs overall, select the Account View tab (see Figure 3). The account view shows the overall performance of each age range in your entire account. In this case the age range from 35-44 years of age had the highest conversion rate of 5.3%.
Age Range Bid Adjustments
Now you can target specific age ranges for bid adjustments. In this case we bumped up the bids for 35-44 year olds, and after some discussion with the client the 45-54 year olds (see Figure 4). Note that we also dropped down the bids for 18-24 year olds, by client request.
Time will tell how well these tweaks will work. In our experience bumping up high performance locations and demographics has a more positive effect on conversion rates than reducing the bids on lower performing targets.
You can target specific age ranges in Google Adwords to optimize conversion rates. By tweaking the bids on high performing age ranges you can tilt your campaigns to those folks more likely to convert.
- This Manhattan New York cosmetic dentist volunteered his AdWords campaign as the subject of this article.
- PPC Optimization: Average Income Targeting
- Targeting your desired audience within particular geographic area using income is a powerful tool you can use to improve your conversion rates. Average household income is just the first demographic that Google has rolled out for that purpose. Coming soon are gender, age, and parental status which could be used to further refine your campaigns.
- PPC Optimization: ZIP Code Targeting
- Learn how to add ZIP code targeting to your PPC campaigns to boost conversion rates. By optimizing the performance of individual demographics and locations, you can improve conversion rates to squeeze more leads out your AdWords spend.