Here you’ll find publications that our team has produced over the years.
- Website Optimization: Speed, Search Engine, & Conversion Rate Secrets
- The definitive guide to Website Optimization. A new book from O’Reilly, Secrets integrates search engine marketing, conversion rate optimization, and web performance tuning into one complete guide. Reserve your copy now at Amazon.com. Due July 15, 2008, ISBN: 0596515081. Companion site at WebsiteOptimization.com/secrets/.
- Speed Up Your Site: Web Site Optimization
- HTML & Web Publishing
- Contributing author to Jim Heid’s 1997 book ISBN: 0764540033. Wrote “Pushing HTML” chapter.
- Search Engine Marketing Trends: The Shift to SEO (PDF, 1,345K)
- This presentation explores the trends in search engine marketing and
how budgets are shifting from traditional media to new media including the Internet. As PPC costs rise, ad budgets are shifting toward natural search engine optimization. Shows trends in ad budgets, search queries, metrics, meta tags, and the use of the weblogs to boost visibility. Talk given to the Ann Arbor IT Zone on Nov. 20, 2007 by Andrew B. King, as part of a panel discussion.
- Website Optimization Introduction: Company, Services, and Case Studies (PDF, 1951K, right click)
- An introduction to Website Optimization, LLC and the process of web site optimization in general. Describes the services available including website performance, search engine marketing, and usability and accessibility reviews and testing. Shows case studies of actual WSO clients and results. Talk given at an advertising firm in Detroit, Michigan in January 2007 by Andrew B. King.
- Organic Search Engine Optimization: Best Practices for Maximum Rankings – SEO Presentation (PDF, 1056K, right click)
- An in-depth tutorial on natural SEO with real-world examples and case studies. Gives overview of search engine traffic, optimum keyphrase length, SEO best practices, plus tips on on-site and off-site optimization. Talk given at Ann Arbor IT Zone on April 28, 2005.
- Tropical Search Engine Optimization & The Future of Broadband – Presentation (PDF, 726K, right click to download)
- A talk I gave to the second annual Aruba Tourism Authority eMarketing Conference on April 13, 2005 at the Wyndham Hotel in Aruba. Topics include Search Engine Optimization with specific Aruban examples and the spread of broadband in the U.S. and Europe. Sponsored by the Aruba Hotel Association, Aruba Tourism Authority and the Government of Aruba. Special thanks to Aruba.com.
Sites and Newsletters
- Speed Tweak of the Week
- Optimization Week Magazine
- Weekly news, views, and low-speed reviews from the web performance industry. Also features Speed Tweak of the Week.
- The Bandwidth Report
- A monthly roundup of connectivity trends in the US and elsewhere.
- Founded this popular developer site in 1995. Managing Editor from 1995 to 2001.
- WebReference Update
- Free semi-weekly Web development newsletter with over 45,000
subscribers, published continuously since 1997. Numerous book reviews, interviews, and usability reviews.
- Create complex table-like layouts with CSS.
- Drastically reduce your page size to speed display and reduce bailout rates.
- Universal Related
- Evolution of a Home Page
Chronicles the development of WebReference.com’s home page over time (1995-2001).
An in-depth tutorial and history of Rich Site Summary (RSS), used for
- Introduction to RSS
- Gives an overview of RSS and its benefits.
- Optimizing Animated
- First published in Web Techniques in June 1997 (cover story), latest version online.
- Optimizing Web
- First published in Web Techniques in Dec. 1996, latest version online.
- HTML 4 and Netscape 4: How to tame the wild Mozilla
- Shows which tags and attributes comply with HTML 4.
- What Makes a Great Web Site?
- Outlines the essential characteristics of great Web sites.