When optimizing PPC ad text be as specific as possible in your ad copy. Specific locations (i.e., city, state, airport), benefits (50% off, easy on/off, 1,500 patents) or services tend to get better conversion rates than broader phrases. One area ripe for optimization is the business name field. You can tweak the business name field to match the business name’s location with the ad campaign. In this case, we tried changing the business name from a broader “Michigan” phrase to a more specific “Ann Arbor” phrase.
Broad vs. Specific: Michigan vs. Ann Arbor
One of the campaigns for Michigan Green Cars is a Washtenaw county campaign aimed primarily at the Ann Arbor area. What better campaign to test out more specific ad copy. We tried changing the business name field from “Michigan Green Cars” (see Figure 1) to “Ann Arbor Car Services.” (see Figure 2).
Conversion Rate Improves with More Specific Ad Text
Changing the business name from the more broad “Michigan Green Cars” to the specific “Ann Arbor Car Services.” increased the conversion rate from 50% to 133% (see Figure 3). Adding a trailing period “.” didn’t hurt the conversion rate either.
Using specific copy in your PPC ad text can improve conversion rates. Giving searchers ad text that more closely matches their search queries (and geographic location) gives them results that more closely match their goals.
- This Ann Arbor and Southfield Michigan-based green car company volunteered their AdWords campaign as the subject of this article.
- PPC Optimization: Ad Text Position
- Leading with benefits can improve PPC text ad conversion rates. We show a case study that improves conversion rates by 1.8X.
- PPC Optimization: Age Range Targeting
- You can target specific age ranges in Google Adwords to optimize conversion rates. By tweaking the bids on high performing age ranges you can tilt your campaigns to those folks more likely to convert.
- PPC Optimization: Average Income Targeting
- Targeting your desired audience within particular geographic area using income is a powerful tool you can use to improve your conversion rates. Average household income is just the first demographic that Google has rolled out for that purpose. Coming soon are gender, age, and parental status which could be used to further refine your campaigns.
- PPC Optimization: Display URL Expansion
- By including keywords or calls to action in your display URLs you can boost text ad performance in Google Adwords. This article shows a real-world example of display URL optimization.
- PPC Optimization: Experiments in Punctuation
- By varying the punctuation and plurals within your text ads, you can optimize their conversion rate and cost per conversion. This article shows a case study of call only text ad optimization.
- PPC Optimization: Gender Targeting
- In Google Adwords you can optimize conversion rates using gender targeting. Learn how to squeeze more leads out of your PPC spend by targeting high performing demographics singly or in combination.
- PPC Optimization: ZIP Code Targeting
- Learn how to add ZIP code targeting to your PPC campaigns to boost conversion rates. By optimizing the performance of individual demographics and locations, you can improve conversion rates to squeeze more leads out your AdWords spend.