Dave Artz, co-author of the Website Optimization Metrics chapter, created a screencast about AOL Pagetest. This performance tool we feature in the Secrets book as best in breed (now released to the public as open source).
Archives: Website Optimization Secrets
Praise for Website Optimization Secrets
"The depth of research and experience in this book is astonishing. This book is a must-have for best practices to optimize your website and maximize profit." - Tenni Theurer, Engineering Manager, Yahoo! Exceptional Performance
"Thoughtful and rich in examples, this book will be a useful reference for website designers." - Vint Cerf, Internet pioneer
"Andy King has done it again! His latest book will help make your website better, faster, and more findable. This is destined to become the definitive guide to web optimization." - Peter Morville, author of Ambient Findability and coauthor of Information Architecture for the World Wide Web
"Website Optimization brings together the science, the art, and the business of Internet marketing in a complete way. From persuasion paths to search engine algorithms, from web page load performance to pay-per-click campaign management, and from organic search ranking metrics to multivariate testing, this book is a resource that goes from soup to nuts." - Jim Sterne, emetrics.org
"This is the first book to cover optimization from high-level concepts down to code-level details. WSO will guide you through the world of SEO and Pay Per Click to bring you more traffic, and breaks down the many things you can do to your website to make sure your visitor takes action. The first step, though, is for you to take action and do the things WSO tells you to do and buy this book." - Bryan Eisenberg, bestselling author of Call to Action and Always Be Testing
A "must-have for any commercial website." About.com's Jennifer Kyrnin
"A must have" - Microsoft's Joe Stagner
"The book is excellent..., it is THE book on Website Optimization." - Eric Brown
"Engaging and comprehensive." - Slashdot
"King's book reads a little like a marriage manual that blows past the honeymoon and talks about how to make a relationship last a lifetime.... if I were teaching a class on the business aspects of the web, King's book would be my textbook." - Certforums.co.uk
"If you have a website that underperforms your expectations, this single book can be your one-stop shop to get all the knowledge you need." - Alexander Kirk
"It can likely improve 99% of sites out there." - Dot Net Perls
"Website Optimization Secrets successfully covers all bases of website marketing while at the same time keep the reader engaged in the text at all times." - Search Engine Optimization Journal
"A great reference handbook.... unless you're a ninja in all these areas you will learn something valuable." - Get Elastic
"Outstanding and definitive." - W. F. Zimmerman
"This latest magnum opus goes way beyond that [Speed] in scope and depth. It's a guide to maximising every aspect of a website and its performance." - Mantex.co.uk
About Website Optimization
Do you remember when an optimized website was defined as one that didn't take all day to appear? Well, times have changed. Today, website optimization can spell the difference between the success and failure of your enterprise, and it takes a lot more know-how to achieve. This book is a comprehensive guide to the techniques and methods of website optimization. From increasing site traffic to maximizing leads, from revving up responsiveness to increasing reliability, from prospect retention to closing more sales, the world of 21st century website optimization is explored, exemplified, and explained here. Order your copy today. New chapter summaries, color figures, and all code samples. See Meryl.net's 8th anniversary bash to win prizes including Secrets.
Website Optimization uniquely combines the disciplines of online marketing and site performance tuning that is necessary to attain a competitive advantage on today's Web. You'll learn how to improve your online marketing with effective paid and natural search engine visibility strategies, and how to strengthen lead creation and conversion to sales methods. You will receive gold-standard copywriting guidelines. In addition, your increased site speed, reduced download footprint, and improved reliability will work synergistically with those marketing methods to optimize the total effectiveness of your site.
This book is for business and IT managers and developers. In it author Andrew B. King, president of Website Optimization, LLC, has written and edited the definitive guide to the field of website optimization:
- Search engine optimization
- addressing best (and worst) practices to improve search engine visibility, including step-by-step keyword optimization guidelines, category and tag cloud creation, and guerilla PR techniques to boost inbound links and improve rankings.
- Pay-per-click optimization
- including ad copywriting guidelines, setting profit-driven goals, calculating and optimizing bids, landing page optimization, and campaign management tips.
- Conversion rate optimization
- increasing leads with site landing page guidelines, such as benefit-oriented copy, credibility-based design, value hierarchies, and tips on creating unique selling propositions and slogans.
- Web performance tuning
- optimizing ways to use (X)HTML, CSS, and Ajax to increase speed and reliability, and reduce your download footprint. Includes multimedia optimization tips to shrink videos.
- Advanced tuning
- including client-side techniques such as on-demand content, progressive enhancement, and inline images to save HTTP requests. Server-side tips include improving parallelism, using cache control, browser sniffing, HTTP compression, and URL rewriting to remap links and preserve traffic.
- Web metrics
- illustrating the best metrics and tools to gather details about visitors and measure web conversion and success rates. Covers both search marketing metrics and web performance measures including Pathloss and waterfall graphs.
Website Optimization not only provides you with a strategy for success, it also offers specific techniques for you and your staff to adopt. A profitable website needs to be current, well designed, highly responsive, and optimally persuasive if you are to attract prospects, convert them to buyers, and get them to come back for more. This book describes precisely what you need to accomplish to achieve all of those goals.
So what are you waiting for? Buy Website Optimization Secrets.
Book Secrets Revealed
By Andrew B. King
O'Reilly Media, $39.99
ISBN: 0596515081 order from Amazon.com
ISBN 13: 9780596515089 Order from O'Reilly
Due: July 16, 2008 (now available)
With Website Optimization Secrets you'll learn the secrets of website success, including:
- Search engine optimization best practices
- Pay-per-click optimization techniques
- Real world case studies
- How to optimize your conversion rates
- Web page optimization tips
- CSS optimization tricks including CSS sprites, drop down menus, and CSS shorthand
- Ajax optimization techniques that clean your code and improve robustness
- Advanced web tuning techniques, including HTTP compression, caching, and URI rewriting
- Website optimization metrics to measure and progressively improve success metrics
WebsiteOptimization.com Announces Website Optimization Secrets Book – Speed, Search Engine and Conversion Rate Secrets
Website Optimization announces their new book titled Website Optimization: Speed, Search Engine and Conversion Rate Secrets. Published by O’Reilly Media, Website Optimization shows how online marketing and web performance work together
to ensure website success.
O’Reilly Media’s Website Optimization Book Site
O’Reilly provides a directory for each book that they create, including our own Website Optimization Secrets book. This area let’s you preview the book, buy from O’Reilly US or the UK, and actually buy PDFs of individual chapters.
Ann Arbor News Interviews Andy King on Website Optimization
The Ann Arbor news reported on our new book on Monday. Tina Reed interviewed Andy King last week and posted the story on the Ann Arbor News blog.