Andrew B. King Resume
Web Performance Czar – Optimization of usability and speed of multiple web sites at large design firm or corporation.
- 2002 – present President / Consultant
Founded Web Site Optimization, LLC in late 2002 to assist companies improve their ROIs with their business web sites by increasing speed, targeted traffic, conversion rates, and credibility. Manages on-demand teams of experts in web performance, search engine marketing, design, copywriting, accessibility, and usability.
- 2002 – present Freelance Writer
Wrote Speed Up Your Site: Web Site Optimization for New Riders Publishing. Published January 17, 2003. Writes the monthly Bandwidth Report and the biweekly Speed Tweak of the Week and Optimization Week.
- 2002 – 2004 Technical Advisor
To MBA classroom discussion, for students in The Kellstadt Graduate School of Management at DePaul University. Weekly input to classes, and response to students’ questions related to websites, linkages and e-business tools and applications. DePaul is ranked #4 among graduate schools of business by U.S. News & World Report.
- 2001 – 2004 Newsletter Editor
- 1997 – 2001 Managing Editor/Usability Czar
- 1998 – 1999 Project Manager
- 1995 – 1997 Webmaster
Created and maintained WebReference.com, a Web site devoted to teaching developers about the Web and webmastery.
- 1995 – 1996 Web Integrator
At Internet Connect Inc. planned, organized, created, maintained, and promoted Web sites.
- 1993 – 1994 Sysop
Huron Valley Free-net, one of the first free-nets to utilize the World Wide Web as an interface.1989-1995 Macintosh consultantSoftware and hardware selection, Internet assistance, technical writer, database design.
- 1985-1989 CAD Engineer
Engineering Technology Associates, Inc. an engineering consulting firm in Madison Heights, MI.
- System modeler – used finite element analysis (FEA) to optimize the ride of automobiles.
- Structural engineer – used FEA to design and optimize automotive components.
- Programmer – created hidden surface algorithm for ETA’s finite element modeling program.
- 1984 (summer) Research Engineer Trainee
Ford Motor Company, Impact Factors Department, Dearborn, MI. Used computer simulation of auto crashes to meet FMVSS.
- 1983 (summer) Research Assistant
University of Michigan, Mechanical Engineering department. Structural optimization research utilizing analytical and numerical methods. Implemented these ideas into interactive structural optimization programs.
- 1984 Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. Specialized in design optimization; GPA 7.33 out of 8
- 1983 Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor.
- Computers: Macintosh expertise, IBM PC, Sun, Apollo, mini, mainframe, and Cray
- Courses: Computer science, graphics, FEA, design optimization, sysad and UNIX
- Databases: Filemaker Pro, 4th Dimension
- Internet: Sysop, UNIX, webmaster, consultant, HTML/Photoshop/usability expert, Web site/graphics optimization/design, information architect, writer
- Optimization Week
Reports on what’s new in the web performance industry with industry news, site reviews, and how-tos. Also reports on what’s new at WSO, LLC and the Web Page Analyzer.
- Speed Tweak of the Week
Biweekly tips and techniques on improving web performance for high speed web sites. Published since November of 2003.
- The Bandwidth Report
Monthly trends in connectivity in the US and other countries. Includes broadband trend prediction using data from Nielsen//NetRatings. Feb. 2003.
- Speed Up Your Site: Web Site Optimization
Along with showing readers how to optimize popular web page components this book explores the psychological aspects of performance. Includes compression and search engine optimization chapters. Published Jan. 2003 by New Riders Publishing, ISBN: 0735713243. Companion site at WebSiteOptimization.com.
- WebReference Update
Free semi-weekly Web development newsletter with over 50,000 subscribers, published continuously since 1997. Numerous book reviews, interviews, and usability reviews.
- Advanced CSS Layouts
Create complex table-like layouts with CSS.
- Extreme HTML Optimization
Drastically reduce your page size to speed display and reduce bailout rates.
- Universal Related Popup Menus
- Evolution of a Home Page
Chronicles the development of WebReference.com’s home page over time (1995-2001).
- Evolution of RSS
An in-depth tutorial and history of Rich Site Summary (RSS), used for news syndication.
- Introduction to RSS
Gives an overview of RSS and its benefits.
- HTML & Web Publishing Secrets
Contributing author to Jim Heid’s 1997 book ISBN: 0764540033. Wrote “Pushing HTML” chapter.
- Optimizing Animated GIFs
First published in Web Techniques in June 1997 (cover story), updated version online.
- Optimizing Web Graphics
First published in Web Techniques in Dec. 1996, updated version online.
- HTML 4 and Netscape 4: How to tame the wild Mozilla
Shows which tags and attributes comply with HTML 4.
- What Makes a Great Web Site?
Outlines the essential characteristics of great Web sites.
Awards and Credentials
Over 100 awards for WebReference.com, including 9-time winner of PC Magazine’s top 100 Web sites
Passed Professional Engineering Exam Part 1: Fundamentals
James F. Lincoln Arc Welding Award for design of three-wheeled human-powered vehicle
Andrew B. King, MSME (email: andy at athenia dot net)